2 Songs That Make You Say Yeah By.... Johnny Cash and TV on the Radio

This weeks songs to make you say yeah, aren't really about jumping up arms in the air and a massive grin on your face style yeah, more of a subtle, sat back reclining, listening, slow grin spreading, steady rocking of the head kind of yeah.

The first comes from Johnny Cash. There is some confusion about who actually wrote this song, I guess it is a traditional American folk song. It is dark and suits Cash's broken voice. This is from a great album of covers by Cash called "The Man Comes Around" which also features the greatest version of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt" (sorry Trent and Bowie your duo is a close second) the video is heart breaking, and an amazing version of Depeche Mode's"Personal Jesus".



Second from a much more contemporary band, TV on the Radio. This is from their second album Return to Cookie Mountain. They are the most innovative band I have ever heard. They sound like no one and no one sounds like them (although their last album was more commercial). The song "I Was A Lover." Listen to the production, how far they push it, all the noises pulled together and tamed. Listen to the cut off of the strings/horns half way through a note. Sit back, nod your head, say yeah...



TV on the Radio, also a fantastic live band. One of my highlights of 2008, a couple of days before dissertation hand in, I abandoned my essay, haggled with a tout, necked two double vodkas, and crept to the front to watch TV on the Radio. Alone. Liberating. YES! I had a couple more drinks and continued with the essay when I returned home (and I still got a first for that essay!)
There is more TV on the Radio to come...

Sorry there are no videos fr these...

No comments:

Search This Blog