Music would not have happened the way it did...


How amazing it must be to have influenced something so massive and massively.

What an strange/incredible person to place telephone receivers into the body of acoustic guitars at the age of 13. (Actually I am wondering what kind of sound that would make, something quite tinny and awful one should imagine, but interesting. Actually I have had and played guitar down the phone, it doesn't sound too hot!)

Something I will always find interesting is near death experience. Before I was born, my Dad (who is a scaffolder) fell down a lift shaft (it was before health and safety - no harness) and managed to catch hold of the scaffold moments before hitting the ground. Imagine that, a world minus me. Have I even effected anyone so greatly to make that much of a difference? (Andrew surely). Well Les Paul nearly died in 1948 in a car crash, 4 years before Gibson began to make the Les Paul, And two years before he creted multi tracking. Imagine that, a world without multi tracking... If you can't, just believe me when I say music would sound a lot different...

An 'ttractive guitar... The one above is a Jeff Beck (signature) 1954 Les Paul Oxblood. (oo er here comes the geeky bit...) It is a recreation of Jeff Beck's "heavily modified" 1954 Les Paul. Which went on to make some very iconic music for The Yardbirds and The Jeff Beck Group - because Jeff Beck hasn't always played a Fender strat you know. As if you care... Here is Jeff Back (in the Yardbirds, with Jimmy Page) smashing it up. Well actually he wouldn't smash up the Les Paul so they smashed up this Hofner instead...



Great song, Stroll On - The Yardbirds 1966. The Movie is Blow Up. Must have watched this clip about a hundred times when I was seventeen. Initially Antonininini, wanted The Who to appear here, but could only get The Yardbirds... Lucky, as it is a rare glance at the Yardbirds with both Jeff and Jimmy playing.

(What it has been years since I was a guitar geek I am entitled every once in a while!)

No comments:

Search This Blog