George Harvey Bone...

For me it is all about the character. Real or fictional. Something in the air surrounding a person that pulls me in, then something in the way they behave holds me there. If you interest me or intrigue me I am forever yours and you will forever be within me. I will forever be tied to you by an undetectable string. I will give the string slack from time to time but I will be back. Congratulations if I am your friend and/or am perpetually bugging you, you have succeeded. Your character is a fascinating one! I guess I should appologise to everyone else, or should they appologise to me. That isn't important. For me it is good to be classed as a 'creative' as I am surrounded by beautiful, interesting people (or should that be was...) Being tied to people like this is not always an advantage but lets just say I am kept on my toes and things tend to remain interesting. (or should that be used to remain... I am still adjusting to Warrington.) It is easier in reality, face to face. A person sometimes doesn't need to speak and you can become attracted to them (by attracted I do sort of refer to physically, but on more of a sort of chemical or perhaps even spiritual level, one that arouses intrigue and mans natural curiosity.) They can stand casually, unaware of their effect. That has happened, is happening, and will continue to happen to me. I remember the first day of university in '06, I was drawn to two people, these two are naturally very good friends of mine now, perhaps because I perpetually bugged them, but more likely due to the air surrounding and attracting us. Perhaps this is how friendship works. But I am getting carried away. I love the people that I am tied to, even the ones I hate... I wanted to talk about fiction. With fiction it is harder, there is no air, it is all written down...

Over the last couple of weeks of University I became completely drawn into the life and obsessions of one George Harvey Bone. If you amazon this name you will find that some cretin chef has stolen it. (Although "Cooking with Booze" does link to aspects of Bone's life, or at least the booze does.) The book is "Hangover Square," by Patrick Hamilton. I would like to place into this blog all the pages with their bottom corners folded over, my way of marking of a page that contains a passage that I have particularly enjoyed or been inspired by, but I would spoil some truly beautiful moments of the book. George has his quirks. He is consumed by obsession and love for Netta, a woman happy to lead him on, use him, we could all see it written before us, but what chance did George have. Love had already swung at him, he was on the floor letting it kick at him over and over. And I could relate to many moments like this.
His 'dead moments', moments described as a "Click" and then "Watching a movie with no sound," moments where he had blacked out with no recollection of anything that happened in these periods. George is still there somewhere, still a part of the world, but the world is no longer a part of him. These 'dead moments' are pretty representative of his reality, even outside of them George is detached, isolated and living in his own separate world, a world dictated by Netta. There are many cultural references to Hitler and his early rise, when Britain was truly captivated, obsessed by him. Netta adores Hitler (as did the majority of the country) George however, knew he was trouble, a matter of time before war begun. Symbolically the book ends with the beginning of the war and a dramatic end to Bone's personal war.
Love, even when it goes no further than obsession is a battle. Once you let your guard down the attack begins. This was true for Bone. I could relate to him on many levels, perhaps we all could. I urge you to read it. Hell, if you ask nicely I will lend you this book. It has gained a firm place as one of my favorites. But how? It is true that this book is a great read (if my recommendation isn't good enough check out the amazon stars...) but there is not a lot that happens regarding story line. You keep the pages turning because of the character, because you feel for him, you have felt like him, you want him to get out, you feel as he does, you enter (sorry let me correct that...) I entered the final part of this book, (not wanting to it finish, not wanting to bid farewell to old Bone) chanting his name, routing for him. Because of the character not the story. And that is true of many books I have read (and films I have watched). Therefore it also occurs where I enjoy the idea of a book, it's story, that I do not fall in love with it. Because the characters are scumbags or dull or I am unable to connect. (Most of) My favorites are favorites because I tied an undetectable string from myself to George Harvey Bone, to Winston Smith, to Raskolnikov, to Alex, to Yossarian, to Miller, to Josef K, to Burroughs.
Wow I seem to be holding onto a lot of string here! I hope I effect people in a similar way.
This passage is a favorite from early on, it is amusing and quite familiar. The ability to link his obsession to anything...

No comments:

Search This Blog