Watching Memories

"I shall have chanced to strike my forehead, within my night, at some door, freeing an anguished memory that had been haunting me since the beginning of the world." - Jean Genet

I'm one for observing. Sometimes I forget to speak or even that I had anything to say through looking. First, I must apologise if I can sometimes be difficult to talk to, if I'm not saying much it's probably because I'm either not used to being around you, am interested in the way you talk/react/express yourself, or, sometimes, I just don't have too much to say.

It is interesting to watch as people speak of their memories. Watching the face as it evokes and spills out the emotion of the moment. (As long as it is not an elaborate over rehearsed anecdote, still I guess enthusiasm is also interesting to watch.) A genuine memory. An experience. Something that elicits emotion. To watch: Eyes flick back and forth, as if exploring the memory before them. It is happening right now. For them, but only for them. You can't see it, you can only hear about it. Key pauses. Looking into the distant but not focused on anything that is here right now. Then eye contact. Then into the distance again. Joy. Pain. Discomfort. Awkwardness. Intensity. Excitement. Wisdom. Regret. Sorrow. Fondness. More eye contact. Reactions. Smiles. Grimaces.

It's all there. Embedded in the mind a picture to study, a moment to revisit. Time travel.

I like to watch people, study their movements, their expressions, their facial features. Push for a memory then before your very eyes watch as it is relived.

No comments:

Search This Blog